The Student News Site of Grayslake Central High School

RamsMedia

RamsMedia

RamsMedia

What to Know: Israel and Gaza

Visual By Nick Polerecky

Note from the staff: The current conflict between the country of Israel and the Hamas terrorist organization in the Middle East, a region marked by complex historical and geopolitical issues, is commanding the attention of the world. Below is a continuation of our reporting in Rampage’s fall issue, to help understand the layered, complex, and ever-changing situation between Israel and Gaza.

The continuing conflict between the countries of Israel and the political militant group Hamas,
has escalated since it started on Oct. 7, 2023. In December of 2023, the country of Israel and the political militant group Hamas began negotiations about the possibility of releasing respective hostages on both sides of the conflict. Subsequently, at the beginning of January 2024, Israel intercepted multiple rockets that were fired from Gaza, and Israel withdrew thousands of their soldiers from Gaza in preparation for a new phase in the war. Israel is preparing for fighting in the Gaza Strip and surrounding areas as 2024 goes on, according to CNN.

The fight continued when Israel expanded their operations into the northern part of Gaza, and
on Feb. 12, 2024, there were airstrikes sent from Israel that hit the city of Rafah, a city on the coast of Egypt, which is currently holding 1.4 million displaced Palestinians. On the same day the Israeli military launched its series of strikes on the Shaboura side of Rafah city. Less than one week later on Feb. 18, 2024, there were reports that Israel was planning to expand their military operations in Rafah if the hostages that Hamas are holding were not released.

On Feb. 24, 2024, the United States considered airdropping aid and supplies into Gaza for trapped civilians and soldiers. The death toll in Gaza is rapidly climbing with each day, to the point where the number has now surpassed  31,137 civilian deaths. More than 12,300 children have been killed in Gaza since Oct. 7, 2023, surpassing the number killed in conflicts around the world from 2019 to 2022 according to the Gaza Health Ministry.

On Mar. 1, 2024, the United States began airdropping supplies into Gaza for the people in need. President Joe Biden called for an Israel-Hamas hostage deal where  the US supplies Gaza for at least 6 weeks, and in return, Gaza will release the hostages they currently hold.
In the United States, some politicians have been more vocal about opposing Israel’s current
leader, Benjamin Netanyahu. Chuck Schumer, the top Democrat Senate and the highest-ranking Jewish elected official in the United States, “spoke from the Senate floor to condemn Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and call for elections to replace him,” according to The New York Times. Schumer also said, “I also believe Prime Minister Netanyahu has lost
his way by allowing his political survival to take precedence over the best interests of Israel.”
Schumer added “he has been too willing to tolerate the civilian toll in Gaza, which is pushing support for Israel worldwide to historic lows. Israel cannot survive if it becomes a pariah.”

As of March 15, 2024, Hamas has laid down a ceasefire proposal that will include Hamas releasing the Israeli hostages. In return, Hamas wants the release of the Palestinian prisoners. In more detail, the hostages Hamas will release if the proposal goes through will include children, women, and the elderly. Hamas wants at least 700 or more Palestinians set free.
The day before, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated that Hamas’s proposal was rife with “unrealistic demands.” On March 18, 2024 United States President Joe Biden vocalized deep concerns about Israel’s plans of an operation in Rafah. Meanwhile, a US humanitarian aid official  gave out a call about a possible famine in Gaza that will break  out between now and May of this year. He also urged Israel to shift open more land routes to be able to deliver food aid into Gaza. As of April 8, 2024, some of Khan Younis’ former residents are returning after the Israeli military announced it would withdraw its ground troops from the southern Gazan city.

Last updated on April 8, 2024.