The Student News Site of Grayslake Central High School

RamsMedia

RamsMedia

RamsMedia

New Voter’s Guide to 2024 Presidential Election Candidates

New Voters Guide to 2024 Presidential Election Candidates

In November 2024, the United States of America will be voting on its next leader for the following four years. Presidential elections are an essential part of American democracy and determine the direction of the country through many facets. These are the 14 most notable candidates for the 2024 presidential election.

Joe Biden (Democrat): President Biden is the 46th President of the United States, having been in office since January 20, 2021. During his time as president, Biden has protected equal rights, attempted to regulate guns and weaponry, and supported Ukraine while it was under attack. Biden claims that, if he is to be re-elected, he will continue to try and make healthcare more accessible and form a minimum tax for the U.S.’s billionaires.

Dean Phillips (Democrat): Dean Phillips is a U.S. Representative from Minnesota. If elected, he promises to bring down the cost of living, improve community safety, address nation-wide mental health and drug use issues, and make U.S. politics less divisive. He has stated that he is running mostly because he does not want the U.S. to “face an unacceptable risk of Trump being back in the White House.”

Marianne Williamson (Democrat): Marianne Williamson is an author and a former 2020 democratic primary candidate. If elected, she states that her goals would be focused on economic issues, such as the promotion of universal healthcare, the development of tuition-free higher education, paid parental leave for employed adults and an increase in the minimum wage.

Ryan Binkley (Republican): Ryan Binkley is a businessman and religious pastor. He has stated that, if he was to be elected president, his main focuses would be lowering the national debt by reducing federal spending, reducing the cost of healthcare and strengthening border security and furthering the ability for legal immigrants to enter the nation and receive opportunities.

Doug Burgum (Republican): Doug Burgum is the governor of North Dakota, being in his position since 2016. His campaign promises include furthered domestic energy production nationwide, fixing and strengthening the economy, fighting the issue of inflation and enhancing national security. He also has put major emphasis on his background growing up in a very small town and his governance of such a small-population state, vouching for the acknowledgement of average, suburban American people.

Chris Christie (Republican): Chris Christie is the former governor of New Jersey and is currently a politician. His campaign is mainly centered around criticism of President Donald Trump, critiquing his actions during his presidency. He has also vouched for a more assertive foreign policy when it comes to hostile countries, and tougher border control to stop the fentanyl epidemic.

Ron DeSantis (Republican): Ron DeSantis is the current governor of Florida. His campaign promises include reducing government spending and inflation, enhancing the security at the U.S – Mexico border and supporting the funding for law enforcement, to name a few. He has vouched for more nationwide economic independence and self-sufficiency.

Nikki Haley (Republican): Nikki Haley is the former governor of South Carolina and is a current politician. Her campaign is focused on combating inflation, developing economic growth, and promoting the use of digital programs to employ eligible Americans into the workforce. She also wishes to fully reform the United Nations.

Asa Hutchinson (Republican): Asa Hutchinson was the previous governor of Arkansas and is currently a political figure. If elected, he promises to have stronger ties with foreign countries, to reduce the amount of government spending, to strengthen the security on the Mexico-American border, and to enhance local law enforcement.

Vivek Ramaswamy (Republican): Vivek Ramaswamy is an entrepreneur and political commentator. His presidential campaign is mostly centered around the promises of reducing the size of the federal government, opposing China and its government, and opposing environmental, social, and corporate governance in the promotion of investment diversity in the United State’s companies.

Tim Scott (Republican): Tim Scott is a senator from South Carolina. He claims that, if elected, he will reduce taxes and the national debt, increase U.S. based manufacturing of materials, further support and invest in the military, support charter schools and enhance law enforcement and border security.

Donald Trump (Republican): President Trump was the 45th president of the United States, his presidency lasting from 2016 to 2020. During his presidency, America gained 7 million new jobs, boosted the economy and stock market, and made major pushes to protect the U.S.-Mexico border. If re-elected, he promises to continue what he started, by continuing to make the economy better, fighting inflation and enhancing national security.

Chase Oliver (Libertarian): Chase Oliver is a political activist and HR representative. If elected, his top priorities as president would be to end all foreign wars, legalize cannabis and officially stop the war on drugs, cutting student college debt, enforcing the right to bear arms for all, and reducing the inflation rate.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. (Independent): Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is an author and a lawyer and the nephew of president John F. Kennedy. If elected president, he has promised to decrease the cost of living, help conserve the environment, strengthen the US-Mexico border and support legal immigrants, and improve the living conditions of Native American tribes and their people.

Cornel West (Independent): Cornel West is a philosopher, political activist and social critic. His campaign promises include implementing a wealth tax on all US billionaires, nationalizing the fossil fuel industry, promoting free tuitions for state and community colleges, ending American-led wars and rejecting the global patriarchy.

Rampage polled Grayslake Central students on the issues they are most concerned with, and created this
visual guide to the current 14 presidential candidates.