The Student News Site of Grayslake Central High School

RamsMedia

RamsMedia

RamsMedia

Writer’s Week 2024: In Photos

From April 2-5, GCHS students and staff enjoyed four days of all things writing, with presentations from writers, musicians, journalists – and even Shakespeare himself!
Noreen Nasir, a Grayslake Central High School alumnus, and video journalist for The Associated Press discussed the challenges modern journalists face. While discussing what qualities a good journalist has, Nasir said “Empathy is a superpower when it comes to storytelling and journalism.”

Peter Dankelson is a musician and speaker. Over 800,000 social media followers have found inspiration and motivation from his music, books, and life story. Peter’s story and talent is the inspiration that fuels Pete’s Diary, his band. He is 23 years old and undergone 37 surgeries to correct birth defects due to Goldenhar Syndrome. Peter found his passion for playing guitar at the age of 15 and used it to get through his toughest recoveries. His music is available on all streaming platforms.

Grayslake Central students pose with Peter Dankelson of Pete’s Diary.
Photo provided by Jon Ellis

A true Ramily moment at Writer’s Week 2024! Former GCHS journalism teacher, Bob Kay, came back to introduce Noreen Nasir for Writer’s Week. 

Ron Scott Fry, “the Shakespeare Guy” from Optimist Theatre taught GCHS students all about Shakespeare, his revolutionary writing, and even stage combat!

Poets Fullamusu Bangura and Luis Tubens from the Chicago Poetry Foundation engaged with Grayslake Central students about poetry, writing, and the art of performance.