Boys Basketball Dribbling Into the Season

Taking a look at boys basketball season goals and team building

Brendan Whalen shoots a three point shot against Lake Community High School.

Anastasia Paev, Staff Reporter

Grayslake Central’s boys basketball has entered the back half of their 2022 season, with exciting goals and expectations for the program as the season nears its end in February. The team is coached by Brian Centella and Rico Ellis.  Ten juniors and five seniors make-up the varsity team. 

Senior forward Brendan Whalen said, “[Our goals are to] win the conference. We are hosting regionals this year and we want to bring the regional plaque back to the school.” 

The players have high expectations for themselves this season, but so does Coach Centella. He said, “Approach everyday with a positive attitude, want to try to get better, and try to live out our five core values.” 

The team prides itself on its five core values: passion, joy, unity, accountability and humility. Some of the team’s goals for the season include: conference win, regional championship, and for everyday attitude and practice time.

Junior forward Jacob Gibson said, “A team needs to be connected, they all need to be locked in together on defense and offense.” 

While working hard this season, the team offers some advice for underclassmen hoping to play at a varsity level. 

“Continue to work, it’s something you have to take very seriously. It’s something you have to dedicate a lot of time to,” said Centella. 

Central’s basketball program has stood out against other schools in the area, making it to regionals in 2020, and boasting dominance over conference opponents.“The passion and dedication that we have in our program is very special,”  said Coach Centella. 

So far, the boys have gone 5-2 against NLCC opponents the first time through the conference, and secured a win versus North Chicago (64-30) on senior night, January 25. Ram fans should look forward to an exciting month of basketball for the boys as they face off against all conference opponents for the last time before playoffs begin in late February.