The Student News Site of Grayslake Central High School

RamsMedia

RamsMedia

RamsMedia

Is College Worth It?

Lyma
Grayslake Central shows students the many options after high school

According to the National Center of Education Statistics, the cost of college over time has increased by a staggering 143% percent. Over the past 58 years, the average cost of attending an institution has nearly doubled, going from $10,648 to $25,910. That’s 2.4 times more than in 1963.

Barry Goldman is a school counselor at Grayslake Central High School. One of his responsibilities as a counselor is to guide students towards the best plan for them post high school. Goldman views the increase in price of tuition as “very unfair, because we want our society to be well educated, to be well prepared, and we put these financial barriers it’s going to push them away,” said Goldman. In response to seeing the statistics, GCHS counselor Miguel Perez said “I think the cost of colleges are significant concerns for families. And for students and as a counselor advising people. I think it’s become very challenging to kind of look at for your college as a reasonable option for cost”

This raises the question, is college even worth attending, when prices are higher, and are continuing to increase? Ian Cunningham is a 2023 Grayslake Central Graduate.  He is currently in his first year
of college at Bradley University. When he was asked whether his education was worth the amount of money in tuition he pays. Cunningham said; “I think the college could be a lot cheaper. It’s very difficult to manage. And for a lot of people who don’t have the money and student debt, it can be a real issue, especially if they’re going into careers that don’t pay very well”.

Rising prices of tuition brings up a bigger question, why do counselors still advise college as the best option after high school when there are other options such as the military or trade school? Cunningham said, “It’s a tricky thing, because our society tells us that college is just the best thing. But that’s not true for everybody. And if you spend your four years in high school hating every minute, college is going to be different, but you’re not going to go to college and all of a sudden loves school”. But what do our counselors say about it? Goldman said: “So it’s kind of really up to them, what they’re, what their goals are, what they want to accomplish, what they want to achieve.”
So what are other paths students can take post high school? There are many possibilities, one growing in popularity is Trade school.

According to the National Student Clearinghouse, there has been an increase
of enrollment in mechanic and repair trade programs. From spring of 2021 to 2022, enrollment increased by 11.5 percent. But what if someone doesn’t want to go into trade? Trade school may not be for everyone. Cunningham said “So for people with different abilities, different interests, it’s important to think for yourself, is this something that’s worth my time worth my money?…Even jobs that don’t require further education, like there are lots of options, different ways to get into careers that will help you be successful.”

Students are now able to pursue their dreams and passions with the rise of alternative careers post high school. Counselors can advise students of places that will help them be successful in achieving what they want, instead of the pressures of what society says they should pursue. Perez said “we really want students to look at themselves and do some self reflection as an individual, knowing their plans may change over time, but really to kind of evaluate when they graduate from Grayslake Central.”