GCHS shops local for the holidays

Shopping locally can help keep a community going

Henry Rowe, Feature Editor

Shopping locally for the holidays is a lot like a new year’s resolution; we promise ourselves that we’re going to, yet when the time finally comes we default to our old habits, refreshing our Amazon feed and shopping at big box stores.  However, several stores in Grayslake show promise in encouraging local holiday shopping. 

One such Business is 27 houses, a lifestyle and fashion boutique in downtown Grayslake, owned by Michelle Anderson. Anderson has family ties to Grayslake and the surrounding area. Anderson’s local flair gives buyers the chance to find items at her store they might not see at larger, wider-reaching shops. 

“Shopping local not only supports the families that shop locally, but you’ll also be able to find more unique items, ones you wouldn’t in big box stores. Especially here [27 houses] we have a lot of local art that we sell, and not only through buying that you support my family, which grew up in Grayslake, but Grayslake artists and their families,” said Anderson 

A key demographic for shops, especially during the holidays, is GCHS students. With a wide array of goods and prices, local shops are able to cater far closer to this demographic than larger competitors. 

“We have things of all different price points, which is fantastic because it allows you to get a little bit of everything for everyone on your list, while still staying within the budget of a high school student,” said Anderson. 

Anderson, unlike massive corporations, is keyed into what GCHS students want. Anderson directly takes the feedback from shoppers, and tailors her shop to fit what shoppers want. This has led to increased demand at certain times to suit high school-age shoppers. 

“High School students especially gravitate towards our crystals, our bracelets, candles as well as our clothing and jewelry and other things like that,” said Anderson.

Blush Boutique, owned by Kelly Plichta, is also ramping up for the Holiday season. Plichta explains why shopping locally is so vital to any community. 

“Supporting small businesses, I believe, can help support families put their kids into sports and school, basically helping build a community. Because it’s going to encourage further local development, it’s going to encourage more businesses to do the same thing. You know, shopping local, definitely supports the community more,” said Plichta

Plichta views support from the community as reciprocated, tailoring her business to her town. 

“Well, I worked at a salon for about 10 years, a really big salon, and I moved to Grayslake and that’s kind of where I decided I wanted to set up shop. I love the downtown area, that’s just kind of where I decided okay, this is going to be this is where I’m going to establish my business and it’s been great. The people of Gray’s Lake and my clientele out here have been amazing,” said Plichta 

There’s a certain stigma surrounding small businesses, as many believe the prices are far higher than at larger stores. Plichta is working to break that stigma, and bring holiday cheer at a reasonable price.

“My goal with the boutique was not to have insane prices where you go in and spend $90 on a t-shirt because it’s a boutique. My goal was to open a place where anybody can shop and you can feel good about shopping there, where you’re not questioning yourself like oh, do I want to spend that much. High schoolers can go in there and buy a pair of jeans at a reasonable price or buy jewelry and purses at a reasonable price. So that was my goal where I want it to be shopper-friendly for people to come in and buy stuff and buy gifts,” said Plichta.