Choir sings at NLCC Festival

For the first time, Grayslake Central hosted the Northern Lake County Conference Choir Festival on Feb. 18 with Antioch, Grant, North, Lakes, Round Lake and Wauconda schools in attendance.

Bobby Olson from Lakes Community High School performs “Nyon, Nyon” by Jake Runestad. Photo by Jordan Fliegelman

Jordan Fliegelman, Staff Reporter

Choir director Michael Gutierrez and student activities director Dianna Repp worked for “almost a year” to make an event that many families would attend.

“Mrs. Repp and I have been planning this festival since last spring, so almost a year of preparation went into this festival” Gutierrez explained.

Sophomores Savanna Money and McKenna Brody are both members of the choir; Money states, “We practiced for a while to make sure we got the songs right, and we spent some time practicing [and] memorizing them.”

It was both their first times performing, and Brody said, “I was a bit nervous at first, but as time went on, I got more and more comfortable and soon enough, I was having a lot of fun.”

When listening to what other choirs sang, Money said, “I loved hearing all the other choirs perform their songs. All the choirs did really well and had unique songs; it was really fun to watch and listen to.”

Gutierrez, Money, Brody and Repp were very proud of the outcome of the event.

“I was extremely pleased with the outcome of the concert. It’s such a cool thing to hear what other choirs are performing and then to combine forces to sing a combined song is always a crowd – and director – favorite!” Gutierrez said.