State of the Union breakdown for understanding

President Donald Trump’s 2019 State of the Union address, broken down topic by topic.

Christopher Trejo, Sports & Technology Editor

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi invited Trump to speak just hours after her election into the position. Originally scheduled for the Jan. 29, Trump’s appearance before Congress was postponed due to the month long government shutdown that ran from Dec. 22 to Jan. 25. President Trump delivered his State of the Union Address on Feb. 5, 2019.

Though the speech discussed many topics, Trump did have a clear focus on what topics were of higher importance.

President Trump addressed the nation on what he views as its problems. The main points in this year’s address included anti-abortion laws, pricing of medicine and healthcare, care for people with pre-existing conditions, national security along the southern border, and international affairs.

Trump’s firm stance against New York and Virginia’ newly instated abortion laws.

“Let us work together to build a culture that cherishes innocent life. And let us reaffirm a fundamental truth: all children — born and unborn — are made in the holy image of God,” said Trump during his address regarding his view on anti-abortion according to CNN’s recording of the State of the Union Address.

In response to New York’s decision to allow late term abortion and Virginia’s decision to roll back requirements for third semester pregnancies, Trump spoke against the east coast’s states regarding their newly instated abortion laws.

“Lawmakers in New York cheered with delight upon the passage of legislation that would allow a baby to be ripped from the mother’s womb moments before birth. These are living, feeling, beautiful babies who will never get the chance to share their love and dreams with the world. And then, we had the case of the Governor of Virginia where he basically stated he would execute a baby after birth.” said Trump, condemning both states.

Though mentioned in his 2016 presidential debate, abortion was never on the top of his to do list, but Trump may now see it as one of his hot topics for his political future come 2020.

Protection of people with pre-existing conditions and availability of medicine and treatment

Another focal point of the address involved the well-being of Americans with any existing medical conditions and the availability of over-the-counter medication in the United States.

Trump elaborated on his viewpoint on medicine pricing by saying, “It is unacceptable that Americans pay vastly more than people in other countries for the exact same drugs, often made in the exact same place. This is wrong, unfair, and together we can stop it.”

Another point Trump mentioned was aiding children who have cancer of any sort. “Tonight, I am also asking you to join me in another fight that all Americans can get behind: the fight against childhood cancer. . . Many childhood cancers have not seen new therapies in decades. My budget will ask the Congress for $500 million over the next 10 years to fund this critical life-saving research.”

President Trump will not back down and yield on his famed Border Wall.

“Year after year, countless Americans are murdered by criminal illegal aliens,” said President Trump as he opened up to address Congress on his wall and southern border security.

The President Trump then continued to promote his fixation on increasing security along the Southern border by explaining that “My Administration has sent to the Congress a common-sense proposal to end the crisis on our southern border. It includes humanitarian assistance, more law enforcement, drug detection at our ports, closing loopholes that enable child smuggling, and plans for a new physical barrier, or wall, to secure the vast areas between our ports of entry. In the past, most of the people in this room voted for a wall — but the proper wall never got built. I’ll get it built,” said Trump, in hopes of encouraging Congress to get behind him on his stand against illegal migration.
Trump continued to say, “Simply put, walls work and walls save lives. So let’s work together, compromise, and reach a deal that will truly make America safe.”

The President’s second meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

Trump informed the nation and Congress that there would be a second summit between North Korea and the U.S., which would meet in Vietnam, in hopes of convincing Kim Jong-un to dismantle his nuclear arsenal, something the U.S. has been attempting to push for over half a century now.

“But no regime has oppressed its own citizens more totally or brutally than the cruel dictatorship in North Korea. North Korea’s reckless pursuit of nuclear missiles could very soon threaten our homeland.” said Trump.

Trump made it very clear that minimizing North Korea’ military might was key to his administration, even going as far presenting Congress to one of his personal guests of honor, Ji Seong-Ho, North Korean defector who was tortured after a brief visit to China.

In the same month, Trump met with Kim Jong-un in the city of Hanoi from Feb. 27-28 to create and sign a deal beneficial to both parties, but the summit ended before lunch started

Before negotiations in Hanoi had begun, Trump stated in his address, “If I had not been elected President of the United States, we would right now, in my opinion, be in a major war with North Korea with potentially millions of people killed. Much work remains to be done, but my relationship with Kim Jong Un is a good one.”

President Trump ended his address as his all his predecessors before him have, stating the greatness of America and all the hardships the nation has overcome since its creation, and the attempt to sway the nation’s legislative branch to his aide.

All quotes from CNN’s recording of President Donald Trump’s 2019 State of the Union.

To read Donald Trump full transcript of this year’s State of the Union Address, click here