The Student News Site of Grayslake Central High School

RamsMedia

RamsMedia

RamsMedia

Spares No Effort: The Case for Bowling Recognition

Total Image Photographics
The GCHS varsity boys bowling team earned third place in the Silver Division at the Baker Tournament in November 2023.

Grayslake Central High School has a wide variety of sport teams, such as football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, cross country, and more. However, despite the wide breadth of athletic options Central has to offer, some teams are not known to everyone, or recognized by all. The Grayslake Central bowling program has been quieter in popularity compared to Central’s other sports. In every sport, however, players need to work hard, practice, and strive to do their best; bowling is no exception. Members of the GCHS boy’s bowling team want to succeed and make a name for themselves, so they continue their journey, even if recognition isn’t always given.

For example, the Grayslake Central boy’s bowling team became Sectional champions for the first time in school history in January. They will be heading to State for the first time ever. Despite their overwhelming success, the recognition for bowling can still be seen as lacking. Central senior and varsity bowler Jacob Redker reflected on the bowling’s team popularity saying “I feel like it doesn’t get enough [recognition] as other sports do, like football and baseball and other big sports.”

Two other varsity bowling players, Christopher Weber and Ethan Rodriguez echoed the sentiments of their teammate. Weber said, “I feel like many people like to look at it as a sport, as well, but like some others see it as like more of a recreational activity or hobby.” Rodriguez said “Recognition wise, I say [it] doesn’t get enough recognition. I think some people do think of it as just a hobby.” Despite it not being the most popular sport at Grayslake Central, the boys bowling team is always trying to improve and go somewhere in the future with the sport they are playing. Jacob Redker is one of those athletes, always looking to improve.

He reflected on his current season, saying “my progress has been above standard, way better than normal. I switched the way I threw the ball, and I switched hand movements and all that.”When asked, Ethan Rodriguez said “You know, I’m gonna veer off from my season, and just gonna go our season, that’s what really matters. As a team, an amazing season. I mean we only took two losses this season, and JV went undefeated.”

As the boys bowling team gears up for State, Weber hopes that him and his teammates “can really get it done” at the State competition. Rodriguez agreed with his teammate, saying “now the overall goal, is to win it.” Despite not being the team with the most recognition, the boys bowling team has spared no effort this season, and will continue their tireless work to bring home a State title for Grayslake Central.