The Student News Site of Grayslake Central High School

RamsMedia

RamsMedia

RamsMedia

Students on a ‘Quest’ For New Food Options

The new fridge, including flavors of Jarritos Soda. Photo by Violet Rowe

If you have been to the cafeteria at all this school year, you have noticed the new food options. At the start of the 2023-24 school year, Grayslake Central High School changed the cafeteria food provider to Quest Food Management. This decision did not go unnoticed by students and everyone has different opinions on the new lunch menu. Some of the additions this year include: an ice cream cooler, fruit smoothies, yogurt parfaits, and sandwiches made fresh. With all of these changes to the cafeteria, cafeteria manager, Steven Borchers said, “It’s an adjustment in a new school and it’s always hard figuring out how many kids are staying and just kind of… making sure everyone gets fed. Some kids have been a little upset. We’re stepping out and we’re just trying to kind of adjust.” Borchers explained the challenges he and his team are facing as they adapt to a new cafeteria and his desire to make changes for the students.

Even with the additions to the menu, students have critical feedback of the new options this year. Samantha Hinestrosa, a sophomore at GCHS, buys lunch from the cafeteria almost every day and has noticed many changes. Hinestrosa said, “I have noticed a big difference in the prices this year,” and “I think the food is good. It’s just the pricing compared to the portion that isn’t.” While the quality of the food has improved, the increase in cost is a rising issue for students of GCHS. Just from standing in the cafeteria, you will hear students complaining about the five-dollar Oreo shakes

Photo by Violet Rowe

Grayslake Central’s famous cookies have not been forgotten or left off the menu, and students have noticed their freshness compared to past years. Quest Food Management offers fresh cookies every day, served on a warming tray. Sophomore, Natalie Ortega said while overall she prefers the cookies from before, “I like how these ones are more cooked through.” The quality and preparation of the food is one of the main priorities for Quest. The food is made in house and, “it’s fresh. We’re making fresh salads every day, we’re making fresh sandwiches every day. Not everything’s gonna be baked in an oven. We’re actually doing stuff on a flat top grill, we’re doing stuff on the fryer,” said Borchers. If Quest is correct, then students no longer have to worry about the quality of the food they are eating. The quality of the lunch menu has not only made it easier for students without Open Campus privileges to buy good food but there has also been an increase in students with open campus choosing to stay. Borchers said, “The first couple of lunches are a little bit fuller because [students] are actually staying and actually a little bit more excited about the food that’s coming in.” Many students believe the increased cost is worth it, and are willing to pay for better quality food. Ortega said “It looks better than last year,” when she was asked about the comparison to last year’s lunches.

Photo by Violet Rowe

It may be worth your time (and a little more money than you spent last year on lunch) to try the new menu. Quest Food Management and Grayslake Central have put a lot of effort into the new lunch selection and they are looking for your feedback on the changes.