Letters of Recommendation, or Intent?

Every year, high schoolers across the country start the process of looking at colleges. The nervous excitement that sets in over the next few months, from visiting schools, writing essays, finishing applications to top-choice schools, completing the FAFSA, asking for letters of rec, and putting in that final enrollment deposit, can create feelings of excitement and nervousness for so many.

Daniel Laubhan

The Common App is the home for all things college application related. With 20 different schools to apply to comes 20 potential storylines for students’ college experiences.

Daniel Laubhan, Sports & Design Editor

Seniors Luke Mudd and Cabot Postol are both applying to selective colleges for this upcoming year. Each one of these seniors expressed a sense of optimism about their future endeavors, and are each looking forward to continuing their education.

Senior Luke Mudd has applied to numerous schools, among those being Ohio State, and U.C. Boulder.

“I started my applications for everything as soon as the school year started but I had a lot of schools I was planning on applying to,” Mudd explained. “Getting a head start really helped take some stress off when it came time to finally send [applications] in.” 

Mudd plans to continue playing sports in college through intramural sports, and looks forward to more independence in college. 

“I’ve heard plenty about different intramural sports and clubs,” Mudd explained. “Being able to do whatever, whenever will be fun for me but also further learning who I am as an individual.”

Additionally, Senior Cabot Postol eagerly looks forward to college, applying to schools such as Brown, Northwestern, and Washington University in St. Louis. 

“I did the applications themselves in batches, from a couple in November, a couple in December, some in October,” Postol explained. “I’m looking forward to being able to spread my wings a little bit, having a different community and having new places to explore.”

Postol expects to join a collegiate marching band, debate team, or student government, and looks forward to a major in Healthcare Economics or History.

Of course the aforementioned process for some might also include making that first highlight reel, emailing a college coach for the first time, visiting the college’s athletic facilities, or getting the call that you have a scholarship offer, all leading up to signing a National Letter of Intent.

Senior Aaron Cramer, a lifetime wrestler, had a tremendously successful junior season with a final record of 47-1, taking 2nd place in the 2A 170 lb division at the IHSA Individual State Finals last year. He looks to continue this legacy in college.

“Initially I didn’t plan to wrestle in college, but once I started winning big tournaments and beating nationally ranked kids… coaches kind of just reached out to [me],” Cramer explained.

Cramer will be continuing his academic and athletic career at Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville, an NCAA Division 1 program. 

Senior Ryan Huntington, an enthusiastic volleyball player, looks forward to continuing his athletic career at Augustana College.

“I’ve always been playing club [volleyball], so when I was probably a freshman… my parents said if I wanted to keep playing club then it had to be for a reason, so it kind of just applied that I would play in college,” Huntington said. “[Augustana was] the first school to actually come watch me play…and I started reaching out [to coaches] as early as midway through my sophomore year.”

Even though the stress associated with applying to colleges can feel overwhelming with the pressure to write essays, request letters of recommendation, email coaches, or create highlight reels, all this work is worth it, seeing how the finished product is deserving of everything done to get to this point.