Girls bowling team resumes play after COVID pandemic

The girls’ varsity bowling team started their season on Feb. 11 after it was put on hold for two months. Coached by varsity head coach Mike Blasevich, and assistant coach Joshua Peterson, they had their first game against North Chicago and took home a victory. 

Angelina Montes

On Friday Mar. 12, the girls bowling team played at the NLCC tournament. They won a match against McHenry to qualify for the tournament, winning 2188-2050.

Angelina Montes, Staff Reporter

While the team was excited to start the season, this year came with many changes to the ways they competed according to Coach Blasevich. “Whenever [they] faced a team [they] had to have a buffer lane in between, which really takes away some of the competitiveness because you don’t see the other teams’ scores,” Blasevich said. Usually bowlers bowl either in the same lane or right next to each other, so this year it had to be switched up for COVID, making it a little harder for players to get into the game. Since this year’s season was one of the shortest, if a player got in a slump during the season, they wouldn’t have much time to work through or figure it out with the team. 

This season was difficult for players because of COVID, but they still managed to have fun and create a supportive environment in their sport. 

Sophomore Grace Mullins explained that, “We are very close. I’m sure part of it is the small team, but there’s no hostility, [and] we’re all friendly.” 

Practices were also done differently this year, because of COVID. Players couldn’t play as much one on one with each other. Mullins felt that “Practices have been great! Obviously I’d have liked to play without masks, but it’s still a lot of fun. If I were to change anything, I would like to play more competitive games with my teammates.” 

Even with all of the conflicts this year, the girls bowling team was still able to adjust and have a productive season. As Blasevich explained, “I think all the bowlers and the coaches got used to the COVID protocols in place to keep us all safe. It just became the norm for the season.”

This year for the conference the girls bowling team was 3-3, and the overall record was 4-3.