Trump supporters storm U.S Capitol

A play by play of the horrifying events of January 6, 2021

Daniel deBoer, Feature Editor

Trump supporters were given free roam of the Capitol building on Jan 6, 2021 trying to steal back the election. The so far quiet year was interrupted as senate members were counting the electoral votes to confirm President Joseph Biden as winner of the 2020 presidential election. Photo provided by: Pixabay

On the morning of Jan 6, 2021, as senators were counting the electoral votes to validate President Joseph Biden’s win against former President Donald Trump, the so far quiet and uneventful year was quickly disrupted as former President Trump held his Save America rally calling on his supporters to storm the Capitol to steal back the supposedly fraudulent election. The Trump supporters were quick to invade the Capitol, as the outnumbered police standing guard let them into the Capitol as seen in video evidence circulated on Twitter.

The rioters stormed their way through the Capitol forcing members of Congress to evacuate. The entire building was placed into lockdown and a curfew was imposed for the city of Washington D.C starting at 6pm.

The rioters continued to storm the building, rummaging through Senators’ offices stealing valuable information, the most notable of this being Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi’s computer.

Throughout the day, Trump made tweets about the riots telling people to be peaceful about the protests stating, “I am asking for everyone at the U.S Capitol to remain peaceful. No violence! Remember, we are the party of Law & Order – respect the Law and our great men and women in Blue. Thank you!”

Later in the day as the riots pursued, after several requests from government officials for Trump to put an end to the riots, Trump tweeted a video discussing the riots, telling the rioters to “go home. We love you. You’re very special. You’ve seen what happens, you see the way others are treated that are so bad and so evil. I know how you feel. But go home, and go home in peace.” Trump proceeded to discuss further about how the election was stolen from him and that he should remain as president.

Meanwhile, Senators and Congress members were relocated to an undisclosed, secure location where they were informed to shelter in place until the rioters were removed from the Capitol. Protests continued to move throughout the building. The national guard was also called in and began the process of moving toward D.C.

As rioters continued to move towards the senate chamber, a Capitol police officer who goes by the name of Eugene Goodman attempted to divert the crowd away from the Senate chamber to protect it. While he has denied going into interviews about the subject, a friend of Goodman went on record stating, “He said he’d do the same thing again. He’s not looking for any accolades,” according to The Washington Post.

Eventually, rioters began to be removed from the building, and Congress members were moved into a hearing room on the Capitol campus. As the curfew went into effect, Congress members were able to return to their places and proceed with the counting of the electoral votes.

Trump’s video on Twitter was eventually removed from the platform, and Trump’s Twitter account was locked for 12 hours for “repeated and severe violations.” Later on, he was suspended from Twitter and most other social media platforms.

As the electoral votes were counted, Biden was confirmed to be the new president of the United States and would be inaugurated as per tradition on Jan. 20, 2021.

Trump was later charged with incitement of insurrection for the raid on the Capitol and has been impeached, making him the only president to ever be impeached twice, with the trials occurring the week of Feb. 8, 2021, according to USAToday. While Trump did leave office before the impeachment trials, going through with the trial could take away Trump’s presidential pension, stripping him of his ability to ever run for office again, while also taking away all the other presidential perks he would receive normally.