Students stay active during remote learning

Stay physically fit and mentally healthy during remote learning.

Ian Cunningham

Bike rides along one of Lake County’s hundreds of bike trails is a great way to get outside!

Ian Cunningham, Staff Reporter

Ever since students were separated from their daily routines and school days last spring, fitness and health have been put on the back burner for many. As we have come back to school in a remote learning environment, many hours each day are dedicated to Zoom calls and class work on the computer. As a result, many students and teachers feel their motivation and mental health have been secondary thoughts.

In an increasingly more virtual world, there are fewer reasons to leave the house and get outside. Students are spending more and more time in front of computer screens for daily Zoom meetings and class work. Some students are experiencing negative effects on their health because of the increased screen time.

“Staring at those screens all day strains everybody,” junior Mia Lennartz said. “At the end of the day, I am tired and almost destroyed from the screen and the light straining my eyes constantly.”

Students and teachers have indicated that increased screen time and lack of physical interaction has taken a toll on mental health.

“In the situation that we are in, people with mental health issues may be suffering even more,” life fitness teacher Dru Hay said.

Many people agree that physical health and fitness has a direct impact on a person’s mental health. This issue has become prominent  during remote learning. Because of a decrease in day to day human interaction, we have to find ways to keep our mental health in as good a condition as possible. 

“Mental health is a priority. When you get up and move your body it’s a lot better for your body in general, mentally, physically, and all of the above,” Lennartz said.

Mental health is an important issue for many students. Millions of Americans struggle with mental health conditions. Many teachers have taken note of this issue and have taken steps to address it in their classes.

“Depression and anxiety really seems to be on the increase, and so working out just helps…and puts you in the right direction of feeling better about yourself,” Hay said.

The life fitness program is doing their part to keep students active and engaged. One of the largest issues that has been noticed and felt by students and teachers alike is how to stay motivated. For a student like Lennartz, motivation is found through “need[ing] to be the best [she] can be for the next [basketball] season.”

Teachers realize that students have a lot of weight on their shoulders, and it can be extremely difficult to balance their responsibilities.

Hay mentions, “The perfect time to work out is when you are stressed because exercise has so many benefits as far as mental clarity, it gives you energy, and helps you concentrate more and focus. As soon as kids realize that connection, they will be motivated to workout more.”