Grayslake Special Olympics team shoots, scores

GCHS and GNHS find sucess in Special Olympics Basketball.

Photo provided by Sylvia Kendera

Grayslake North student Timothy “Timmy Buckets” Ryno participates in the tip off at a Special Olympics game. This game included players from both Grayslake North and Central. 

Henry Rowe, Staff Reporter

Grayslake Central’s Special Olympics basketball team qualified for state in March 2020. The year-long club is coached by Jen Pope and Ashley Edwards.

“Special Olympics is an ongoing club that meets throughout the year; it is not a singular event. Our team participates in bocce ball, basketball and track & field.” said Pope, Special Olympics coach. “For basketball, we have two teams. One team focuses on just the skills required to play basketball, and then we have a competitive team, which competes against other area Special Olympic teams. This is the team that qualified for state this year.” 

Senior Sylvia Kendera, who shares a similar sentiment to Pope, volunteers with Special Olympics and Best Buddies.

“This school year, we had a pretty awesome basketball game in November against Wauconda. At first, it seemed like our Special Olympics team was struggling and not going to win, but, as it went on, our score kept growing, growing, and growing, and then — what’d you know, we scored the winning shot!” said Kendera. “We also made it to state this year for basketball, which was very exciting for the whole team.” 

Like many events, the Special Olympics state competition was canceled due to the Coronavirus. “We were supposed to go to state this year, but it was canceled due to this pandemic. Many of our members were very disappointed, because they had been working hard to get ready for the event, as well as feeling excited for the fun time it would bring. The seniors in our team were especially upset about it, since this is their last year on the team.” said Kendera.

Kendera hopes next year there will be more people ready to help the Special Olympics team achieve their goals.

“I want students to know that this team is very important and meaningful for all those involved and that we’d really appreciate their support in coming to cheer on its members at the games or making the time to volunteer for Special Olympics and help out! You certainly will not regret it!” Said Kendera.