Lanyard policy changes for 2019-2020

New approach brings advantages and disadvantages

Hayley+Breines+is+pictured+wearing+her+lanyard+and+ID.+Photo+by+Caden+Moe+++++

Hayley Breines is pictured wearing her lanyard and ID. Photo by Caden Moe

Caden Moe, Staff Reporter

Over the past couple years, school safety has become a major topic across the United States, with many school shootings having occurred. This lead to Grayslake Central adding in a policy where students have to have their IDs visible, in lanyards, at all times: either in their pockets, hanging out of their backpacks, or wearing them around their necks. However, next year, the policy will be updated so that students must wear their lanyards on their necks at all times while in school.

I am mixed on whether or not the lanyard policy is a good idea, along with many other people in the school. I was initially against it, but after a talk with associate principal Michael Przybylski, I began to consider some of the potential pros of the policy.

Pros

Safety: A fear of many students and faculty is the concept of somebody getting into the school when they are not supposed to, which no one wants to happen for safety. Having students wear their lanyards will reduce the odds of this happening by making it so that there is less ambiguity as to whether they are a student or not.

Convenience: Having your ID on you at all times is a good way to make sure you never forget it in certain situations. Sure, if you keep it in your backpack, you won’t forget it on your way to class, but what about trips during classes where you may not have your backpack? I have had multiple instances where I go to the library to charge my Chromebook and end up not having my ID to scan, which is a situation that will not happen anymore with the new policy.

Prizes: If anybody is still not sure about the policy, they may want to consider wearing their lanyards in the final two months of school. If they do, Przybylski may end up rewarding them with two for one passes to the Marcus Theatres, with two free drinks included.

Cons

Expression: Students who like to express themselves through what they wear will be negatively affected by the forced addition of lanyards to their wardrobe. They may find it less comfortable, or that it does not look good with their outfits. 

Inconvenience: There will definitely be students who forget to bring their lanyards to school. This could create complications, and a very busy dean’s office come fall. The best advice would be to keep them in your lockers or backpacks, but this is still not an airtight strategy, considering how set in stone a person’s morning routine can be.

From what I have gathered, most students are against wearing our lanyards, and most faculty are for it. Both viewpoints are definitely justified, but I say that students should give the policy a chance. The best option would be to wait until next year and see how the policy turns out.