December 2018 sports rundowns

Justin Parmer and Mitchell Fuller

Wrestling Pins the Competition

Justin Parmer

With a number of injuries, the GCHS wrestling team is having a tough time filling in spots on their roster.

“We’ve been hurting because we’re missing a couple key weights that are really keeping us from scoring bigger at these team, tournaments,” said senior varsity wrestler, Joey Murphy. “We need every single guy to be scoring points.”

However, the Rams have firepower in their best wrestlers. 

The Rams still have state wrestlers Adrian Cramer and Joey Jens, as well as last years IHSA 2A class 160-pound champion, Alex Cramer. Other notable returns include Joey Murphy (12),  Ethan Lester (12), Jason Wiedemann (11), and Ethan Torres (12), all of whom will be in contention to make it down to the IHSA state meet in February.

“You go out and do your job,” said varsity wrestling head coach, Matt Joseph.  “You do your job, and it takes care of the team points.”

Peyton Gomez taking down an opponent in a conference duel meet against Lakes. Photo by Justin Parmer

At this time in the season, the Rams competed in two tournaments. At the Antioch Invitational, the Rams finished 6th out 16 teams. A week later at the Titan Invite, the Rams took 1st with four champion wrestlers and three more wrestlers placing on the podium.

The Rams are currently undefeated in conference matches so far, beating rivals Grayslake North and Lakes in two separate dual meets. 

Girls Bowling Knocks Their Opponents

Mitchell Fuller

The Grayslake Central girls bowling team opened the 2018-2019 season with back to back regular season wins against rivals Grayslake North, 2308-2229, and Johnsburg High School.

The girls swept Johnsburg, with a final score of 2196-1873, winning by 303 pins. Ashley Kilmer scored the game high of 174. Jessica Gurchak finished with 170, and Grace Serres had 168.

The girls played in the Dundee Crown Scramble Tournament where they won second place overall. They finished with 7 individual medalers, lead by senior Vicky Medina, who finished first in her division, junior Ashley Kilmer, who placed second in her division, and Jessica Gurchak, who finished first overall. 

They then dropped back to back matches against Lakes and Zion Benton.

The girls team is comprised of seniors, Madison Ervin, Jessica Gurchak and Vicky Medina. Juniors, Isabella Dinkel, Natalie Espino, Ashley Kilmer, and Yovanna Torres. Sophomores, Nicole Alvarado, Alejandra Contreras, Victoria Cruz, Alysia Minogue, Grace Serres, Siya Sharma, and Jia Zheng. Freshman, Lily Oas, and Kailey Petray. The girls are coached by Mike Blasevich and assistant Bryan Dovichi.

Boys Bowling Rolls to Victories

Mitchell Fuller

The Grayslake Central boys bowling team opened the 2018-2019 season with a loss to Grant Community High School, 3009-2829. They then competed in the 6th annual Baker Kickoff Challenge. Their first home meet of the year was a win against Libertyville High School, winning by 91 pins, with a final score of 3278-3187. 

They lost to McHenry by a final score of 3490-3064, before picking up a win against Woodstock, 3234-2662. Zach Genc scored a career high with 258.

The boys beat cross town rivals, Grayslake North on Nov. 27.

The team is comprised of Seniors, Jan Garcia, Zach Genc, Charles Loeschorn, Gabe Martin, Anh Nguyen, Fallou Thiam, and Zackary Vogel. Juniors, Michael Jones, Miles Pletcher, Hunter Rozzoni, Jack Schufreider, Yohanna Torres, and Gursimar Virdi. Sophomores, Javier Barroso, Cameron Porembski, and Benjamin Terronzo. Freshman, Joaquin Feria, Caleb Jasper, Carter Lee, Tyler Neuman, and Jesus Ortiz. The boys are coached by Bryan Dovichi and assistant, Jon Gurchak.