The Student News Site of Grayslake Central High School

RamsMedia

RamsMedia

RamsMedia

When Should the Tricks and Treats Stop?

High+school+students+return+from+trick-or-treating+on+October+31sts+sudden+snow+storm.%0APhoto+taken+by+Mirabella+Chiodi+
Mira
High school students return from trick-or-treating on October 31st’s sudden snow storm. Photo taken by Mirabella Chiodi

Despite what some classic teen films like Mean Girls might claim, a lot more high school students go trick or treating instead of going to a big Halloween bash than one might expect. According to YouGov, a market research company, out of 1000 American adults surveyed, 26% said that kids are never too old to trick-or-treat. And while 12% said that kids are too old to trick-or-treat past age twelve, there are many older students who still like to go out, dress up and go door to door for candy. The joy and fun of Halloween is something that many students argue never ends at a certain age. The magic of getting in a fun costume and receiving sweet treats by ringing doorbells is an enjoyable time for many. Just take a look at Grayslake Central High School’s own Halloween celebrations, with students proudly showing off their costumes as they walk down the hallways to their classes. Clearly, it is considered to be a beloved event by lots of high school students. “I don’t think that [there’s a point where] I’ll ever stop [trick-or-treating], even if I mostly end up doing it for the candy,” said junior Demarion Williams. While some adults may put some pressure on older students, expecting them to spend their time at home and to leave more candy for younger kids to enjoy during the October holiday, there are many students who renounce that pressure and continue a long-held tradition so they can have a little bit of joy and fun. They often also like to celebrate the holiday in new, unique ways as they get a bit older in age, be it by trick-or-treating in new neighborhoods or going out with a couple of friends or younger family members. “[I’m going to go trick-or-treating] with my little brothers,” said Christian Smith, a sophomore. “But it’s only because I have to watch them.” While to some teenagers, it may seem like a moral obligation to stop trick-or-treating at a specific age point, there are lots of students that renounce this norm, often going against the expectations by continuing to go trick-or-treating after the assumed “cutoff” age. However, there are also younger students who have stopped trick-or-treating earlier than most, or maybe who have never even went out trick-or-treating to celebrate Halloween in the first place. “I haven’t [trick-or-treated] in a while, so I don’t think that I’m going to change that,” said sophomore Kobe Joves. “I’m probably just going to watch some movies with my family.” Despite the widespread love for trick-or-treating on Halloween, there are still students who enjoy going to parties or watching movies with their friends and family. To many, a movie, a blanket and a cup of apple cider is better than getting any amount of candy. Some people may not go trick-or-treating because of religious restrictions, lack of tradition or simply a lack of interest. So, instead, they will often spend their Halloween alone or in small gatherings to celebrate. All ways of celebrating Halloween are found fun and enjoyable for people who participate in celebrating the holiday, and many students say that, while they enjoy the status quo of their current celebrations, they would like to experience the different ways that other students may celebrate Halloween at least once in their lives if they have not already. Students who go trick-or-treating would like to experience a Halloween party at some point, and some students who often go to parties for the holiday say that it would be nice to try trick-or-treating. Either way, in whatever way that you might celebrate Halloween, a good time is bound to be had on the spooky holiday.