Teachers Reflect on Blended Learning

A+soft+seating+area+where+students+can+blend+and+work+throughout+the+school+day.+

A soft seating area where students can “blend” and work throughout the school day.

Nathan Heun, Staff Reporter

Ever since the 2018-2019 school year Grayslake Central High School has had a new way of learning. Blended learning allows students to not directly come to class and do all work outside of class this helps make many classes less traditional and more student peace. 

When asked about blended learning James Plaza, a social science teacher that teaches both ways of learning of blended and regular learning said, “I think the biggest advantage is that it gives students more autonomy, more freedom. They kind of can be in control of how they learn. So some students can go at a faster pace than some other students.”

Blended learning puts more responsibility on the students on their school work. Matthew Bridges a math teacher at GSHC said, “There is more flexibility when and where students can complete classwork.”   Blended learning can give students more freedom and it also gives students the option whether they want to be blended or not. This can give students more choices when learning. 

Although there are lots of perks about blended learning, there may be some negatives that come along with it. “I think the biggest disadvantage, especially being new at it, is trying to figure out how to maximize face to face time with students because as a teacher, I still want to get to know my students. I want them to be in my classes. I want to get to know them as people besides being students” Plaza said. 

While this puts responsibility on students it can also put stress and responsibility on teachers. “It is more of a balancing act. Paying closer attention to what students need to be in the class for and what they can choose to do outside of the classroom” Bridges said. 

Blended learning has changed GCHS in many ways but especially in the way some teachers teach and some students learn. It is something that can give students more freedom and provide a more relatable learning environment.