Boys Soccer Playing Like A Powerhouse

Central boys soccer plays like a powerhouse this season

Kaylie Wilkinson, Staff Reporter

Grayslake Central’s varsity boys soccer team has had a very successful season so far, with a record of 15-1-3.  On Oct. 18 the boys team won their IHSA regional game against Prairie Ridge High School 5-0. The boys fought through a tough game, and came together as a team, working toward the common goal of winning regionals. The team has fought through adversity throughout the year, but has been able to still nonetheless be a powerhouse in Lake County.

The team is coming off a strong 2021 season, placing 4th in state after losing a tough game against Washington last year. As a result, it’s important to focus on the strengths and weaknesses of a new season, as the expectations remain none different from the previous year’s team.

Lucas Veenstra, a senior captain, mentioned that “Some strengths for the team are style of play, passing the ball, and consistency,” Veenstra explained. “Some of the weaknesses are getting off to a slow start in the beginning of the game.”

Head coach Keith Andersson elaborated on this, explaining that “Some strengths are speeding and passing, and some weaknesses are finishing.”

Having strong leads like Veenstra and Andersson, who motivate and bring the team together to play as one, are very important for team culture. The two motivate the team to come together through team bonding events, like meals before games and joining Ram Jam, the lip-syncing performance Central’s PSP hosts,  as a team.
“I am proud to be a Ram, the family environment is a big asset to the school and team. Central is very welcoming and has a supportive and loving culture,” Andersson said.

Senior year remains a crucial season for many athletes. Veenstra, who has been part of the program for all four years of his high school career, explained that “My favorite memory from playing at GCHS was the super-sectional home game,” Veenstra explained. “[The game] was very exciting and definitely a game to remember. Also, the sendoff to State last year.”

Being a role model off and off the field is an important requirement as a leader, and very important when the success of the team relies on the decisions made by their captains, including Veenstra.

“When being a leader on the field, it is important to be positive and uplift my teammates, and off the field just checking up on my teammates and know that they have support.” Veenstra’s attitude is obviously paying off, as Central’s boy’s soccer team continues to dominate.