Girls varsity basketball wins 5th consecutive NLCC conference title

2021 season recap

The Rams win their 5th consecutive NLCC conference championship. The Rams beat North Chicago to secure their title.

Mark Guckenberger, Staff Reporter

The girls varsity basketball team concluded their 2021 season 11-1. The Rams went undefeated in conference play (7-0) and their only loss came to the Warren Blue Devils (46-32). The Rams now have forty-one straight conference wins and three straight undefeated conference championships.

“There were some great individual achievements,” said head coach Steve Ikenn. Freshman forward Tahj Bloom was named Illinois Basketball Coaches Association (IBCA) Class 3A Special Mention All-State and Lake County first team All Area, senior guard Mk Drevline and junior forward Piper Gallaher were both named Lake County Honorable Mention All Area, and senior guard Christine Cave was named the GCHS winner of the NLCC Sportsmanship award.

“I think we were just able to get close and [create team] chemistry really [fast]. We worked out our kinks pretty early on which most teams can’t do,’” said Gallaher. “Our camaraderie helped us out at the beginning of our season and it really remained a constant for us throughout the entirety of the season.”

The Rams chemistry was sparked by their senior leaders, Christine Cave and Mk Drevline. This 2021 basketball season marks the end of a chapter in these seniors’ lives.

“Mk Drevline completed a varsity career, where she was on varsity for three years and won three conference championships and didn’t lose a conference game. And now she’s going to go play in college,” said Ikenn. Drevline will continue her basketball career at Denison University.

Drevline wishes farewell to the girls varsity basketball program,  “I was very proud of the way things went this year. We competed at a high level every day and that’s what contributed to our overall success. We’re honestly like a family and I’m going to miss Rams basketball, but I will forever cherish the memories that came from these past four years.” 

Congrats to the 2021 girls basketball team on their 11-1 season! (Photo provided by Abbey Erlenbaugh.)