D127 offers real world opportunities

real world opportunities allow offer shortcuts to career path

Junior Ana Boucek works while thinking about life after high school.

Clarissa Sison, Feature Editor

“What do you want to be when you grow up?” is a question that is commonly asked, but we also need to ask “how do I get there?” There are many careers out in the world and there is more than one path to reach that destination. If you’re unsure about that destination, that’s okay because you could even switch careers throughout life. However, for those with a general idea of their destination and want to proceed down that path as soon as possible, Gina Shuyler offers the perfect opportunity for you.

Shuyler is the Career and Technical Education (CTE) Department chair for Careers and Community Partnerships. This position allows her to create partnerships with real world companies to create opportunities for district D127 students. In order to get her help, just simply stop by her office and discuss what you’d like to do.

“If someone is interested in an internship or a job shadow, I would have them make an appointment to see me and we can sit down and narrow [things] down, asking questions like, do they have transportation? Or is it something you need in walking distance from your home? Do you want it during school [or] do you want it after school. Once we have those narrowed down, then we’re able to set things up, get all the permissions from teachers or parents, and where it’s happening and secure the location. And then from there, they would meet with me to have some follow up conversation after as the internship is going on,” Shuyler mentioned.

Shuyler offers a unique opportunity for those who want to proceed down their career path or even for those who want to build up their resume. For those who are not sure what they want to do yet, Shuyler can also help by being a career guidance counselor. For more information, email Shuyler at gschuyler@ d127.org or stop by her office at 2830.