Spring sports wrap up seasons

The spring sports begin to wrap up the seasons. Many sports had athletes qualify for state and had teams set records.

Hannah Colson, Staff Reporter

Girls Soccer

The girls soccer team finished with a .500 record including a 4-game sweep at the Waukegan tournament. Their overall record was good enough for the 7th seed in this past weekends IHSA regional matchups. The Rams also finished with a 3-4 conference record with blowout wins against Antioch, Grant and North Chicago.  

Boys Tennis

“Win the next point. Never give up.” -Coach Lawson

The varsity boys tennis team finished 6-7 in the overall season and held a conference record of 3-4. Their season included a 4-3 victory against Grant High School in May, a 4-3 win against Lakes in April, and a 6-1 route against Johnsburgh. On the JV side, the Rams finished their campaign as conference champions, going undefeated and having seven wins.

Girls Track

“’Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day-in and day-out.’ –Robert Collier” -Coach Murphy

The varsity girls track team sent two individuals to go down to the IHSA 3A State meet. Senior high jumper Megan Fletcher punched her 4th consecutive ticket to Charleston by reaching the 5’3 state height quota at the IHSA Antioch Sectionals. Sophomore Julia Reglewski also earned a trip down to the Blue oval, by winning the shot put with a throw of 135 feet. 

Boys Track

The boys track team scored 71 points, finishing 3rd out of 18 teams in the Lake County Invite. Three out of the four relay teams are within range of the state qualifying marks, sending them to the IHSA state meet down in Charleston. Individually, 400m runner Andrew Lehman already met state qualifying time and senior shot putter Jack Chum is within range of qualifying for his second consecutive trip down to state. 

Baseball

“On the field, the circle in which they compete in (Circle of Trust) has to be unbreakable and extremely tight.” -Coach Whalen

The #25 ranked Grayslake Rams enter the final weeks of the regular season 17-4 overall and 11-2 in conference play. The Rams entered the IHSA playoff as the #2 seed and will have home field advantage in both the Regional and Sectional portions of the IHSA playoffs.

Softball

“We have been working so hard together, and we care so much about the sport. Team above self. #ForTheTeam” -Elizabeth Koshy

In April, the varsity girls softball team went on an 11-game win streak. The Rams boast a 15-4 record and are currently 7-2 in conference play. They finished in the conference and will enter the postseason as the #3 seed in 3A classification. The team currently boasts three players batting over .400. 

Lacrosse

“Winning isn’t as important as the satisfaction of knowing we competed to our fullest and played with passion, discipline, and mental focus.” -Coach Ridella

The GCHS Rams went on to finish their 2018-19 season campaign with a 7-8 record overall and 7-6 in the state of Illinois. Their efforts to the regular season were good enough to earn them the #5 seed and will play the #4 seeded Lakes Eagles in the IHSA Grayslake North Sectionall quarter-finals. They will take on the Eagles on Monday, May 20th, at Grant High School.  

Boys Volleyball

“The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory.” -Nicholas Murphy

The varsity boys volleyball team finished with their best regular season campaign yet. With their best season, the Rams were rewarded with the 3 seed in the IHSA Harlem Sectional and will play #15 Huntley on May 20 at Antioch.