Boys tennis serves up fresh competition

Varsity tennis takes third at first tournament of the season

Kaylee Staral, Arts and Entertainment Editor

The varsity tennis team took third place at their first tournament on Saturday, April 6th and since then have started off their season with multiple conference matches against tough competitors like North Chicago and Johnsburg.

Nonconference matches for JV and varsity started on April 1st and 2nd and included tough losses to some very strong teams including Palatine and Prairie Ridge.

Many players, like JV member Brigham Cieslak, have high hopes for the season.

“This year, I think we’ve got the best team. Not only because we’ve got some pretty good players but also because we’re all just great friends.” said Cieslak.

The tennis season is now officially in full swing, and varsity captains Aavik Patel and Jake Ryan help lead the team everyday at practice to prepare for these matches.

“Once we all get here, I lead the warmups,” said Patel, which consists of a lap around the court and several stretches as well. Practice runs everyday until 5:30 p.m. unless the team has a match.

During practice, the varsity tennis coach, Coach Lawson, emphasizes the importance of basic skills.

“I’m a big believer in basics, “ said Lawson. “I believe that on a high school level, if that you’re solid with your basics, you’re going to be successful”

Both coach Lawson and JV coach Lashbrook push the boys to be their best on and off the court.

“My goal is always to win conference and then after that it’s to get somebody to state,” said Lashbrook. With high spirits, dedication and strong comradery, the boys are in for an exciting season.

The boys tennis teams will continue to compete in matches and tournaments throughout this month. Click on the QR code below to find a full schedule of their matches and make sure to come out and support your boys tennis teams.