GCHS girls cross country team goes to state

Hannah Colson, Staff Reporter

The Grayslake Central Cross Country team has had a very successful season with the girls placing 8th at state, which was held in Peoria. This has been the girl’s 3rd time running at state in the past 4 years, and the team couldn’t be more excited for this opportunity.
Everyone was nervous going into the sectionals meet. In order to make it to state, the girls team had to beat 4 ILXCTF (Illinois Cross Country and Track and Field) top 25 ranked teams in the 2A classification. Not only did they beat 5 teams, but they finished ahead of Crystal Lake South who is ranked 5th in the state.
Not only did the team run their fastest, but something that really helped the team push through was the support they gave each other.
“Everyone is supportive of each other,” says Grace Kokkin, a freshman.
One of the hardest things about cross country, according to Coach Centella, is that you can’t re-run a meet. You only get one chance to run your best.
“It’s just one race,” says Coach Centella. “…and you just run for three miles as hard as you can.”
Along with a runner always doing their best, they also have to stay motivated. They can’t give up.
“You have to be determined,” says freshman Bryn Sato, “And you also have to persevere.”
The girl’s greatest strength was their pack, which was the 3rd best at the state meet. The girls had a 31 second 1-5 split, meaning that the scoring runners ran close together. Their 1-7 split was even more impressive, with only a 42 second difference between central’s first runner and their last runner.