Boys golf putts past expectations

Mitchell Fuller, Staff Reporter

The Rams boys golf team opened the 2018-2019 season with a win against cross town rival Grayslake North, despite this year’s expectations to be a rebuild season.

“I lost four of my top players last year. They all graduated. So you didn’t really have experience with the kids.” said boys head coach, Jim Mazzetta. Mazetta is now in his 9th season as the boys head coach.

“We lost a lot of guys last year we lost pretty much our entire team so we didn’t really have much experience” said senior Nate Twardock.

The boys team started the season off well, but once they began playing harder competition, they began to struggle. Despite this, senior Brendan Kick and sophomore Gianni Lucchesi both competed in a sectional qualifier, both shooting under 90 on the 18 hole course.

When it came down to the green, there were a few things the Rams could work on.

“Definitely putting you know it’s a big part of the game, take it that seriously and putt every hole well” said senior golfer Brendan Kick about areas of improvement for the team.

The Rams still found ways to stay motivated, on and off of the green.

“The camaraderie I guess, work well as a team just outside of playing is a lot of fun” said Nate.

We should have a pretty good team. We’ve got a lot of freshman and sophomores playing varsity, and hopefully they work during the summer.” said Mazzetta on his expectations for next season.

The boys team saw two seniors, Nate Twardock and Brendan Kick, graduate this year, both of whom had been playing since they were freshman.

“Brendan and Nate are both great kids, we’re going to be missing both and they helped out with the team with their leadership this year,” said Mr.Mazzetta.