Teen anxiety rises

Talk to a trusted adult if you have feelings of anxiety

One students Schoology calendar is overwhelming. Class work and homeork is not included, neither is a social life or life outside of school. Talk to counselors for help managing this. Photo by Kassandra Ramirez

One student’s Schoology calendar is overwhelming. Class work and homeork is not included, neither is a social life or life outside of school. Talk to counselors for help managing this. Photo by Kassandra Ramirez

Kassandra Ramirez, Staff Reporter

According to the National Institute for Mental Health, 32 percent of teens suffer from anxiety disorder. Anxiety causes you to feel nervous and worry excessively. Panic attacks are common. People also experience stomach aches, chest pains, and loss of appetite. 

Anxiety sufferers feel an overwhelming sense of stress, which can make coping with daily life difficult. According to the Newport Academy, “Anxiety triggers the sympathetic nervous system….it has a purpose and can even help us get things done in our day to day life. But, for some teens, anxiety levels can become unhealthy and even debilitating.” 

GCHS guidance counselor Genesis Casillas talks to lots of students about anxiety. Casillas said, “Anxiety often is caused by the unknown, just not [being] sure what’s going to happen. And things being out of a student’s control.” 

There are things students can do to help with anxiety. Casillas encourages students to keep a regular schedule. Time management can help teens to know what to expect and help get rid of some of the unknown. Sometimes students do need extra help from professionals and GCHS has staff who can help.

Casillas went on to say, “We do offer groups here at school, so sometimes I’ll refer a student to a group, and that’s run by Mrs. Oldenburg and another counselor, or sometimes counselors will pair up and run those groups together. But we also have outside referral sources that we give to families also to help with those kinds of situations. It really depends on the student.” 

Some students get worked up about tests and homework and those are stressful, but it is important to recognize there are different levels of anxiety. Some can be serious and need to be treated. 

“It’s really important to have a good support system, like people you can talk to, people that can help you through and help you stay focused on things. Sometimes when it gets down to their organic level, it becomes a medical concern factor to make sure that there’s no mental health concerns that are happening to get that all checked out,” said Casillas. 

Disruptions in school schedule and a global pandemic have caused increased stress and anxiety, and teens need to be proactive by identifying stressors and diagnosing mental health conditions. Please know that there are people who can help and you are not alone. Reach out to your counselor or a friend at GCHS for support.