“Devious Licks”: Prank or property damage?

Stolen faucets, toilet seats, soap dispensers, and a TV. The “Devious Licks” trend has impacted schools all over the country, including GCHS.

Kyle Boness, Staff Reporter

Stolen faucets, toilet seats, soap dispensers, and a TV. The “Devious Licks” trend has impacted schools all over the country, including GCHS. The trend went viral in August, encouraging students across the country to film themselves stealing items from their school and uploading the recordings online. Despite other schools in the Lake County area suffering more damage, there was still significant destruction to Grayslake Central.

Teachers and students were both upset with students following these trends. Student ran Twitter account @GCBreakingNews posted September 16th, “We seriously didn’t think we needed to say this but for the love of god stop stealing soap dispensers, toilet dividers, signs and destroying school property, please act your age.” Dr. Barb Georges, Associate Principal of Curriculum and Instruction, explained that students may not have considered the ramifications of their actions.

“When we had the peak of destruction to the property earlier in the year, I think the moment of stealing the soap dispenser or items from the school or whatever happened with the TV. I think in that second, kids thought it was funny but they didn’t really think, ‘I have to go to school after this isn’t funny anymore.” Since TikTok has made efforts into blocking the trend at the end of September, damage to school property has decreased significantly. However, as the “Devious Licks” trend ended, another trend began on Tiktok called “Slap a teacher.”

Emails were sent out by Principal Dan Landry on September 30th stating that “Students and their families should know that if students participate in planning, filming or slapping a staff member, they will receive school consequences for their actions. Additionally, it is within the rights of the staff member to press charges with the Grayslake Police Department if an assault like this should occur.” Currently, the “Devious Licks” and “Slap a teacher” trends seem to no longer be relevant on social media. Although this was a rough start to the year, many members of the GCHS staff are optimistic going forward. “I would like to focus on the bright spots in our community and our school. All you have to do is look around you and see all the great things going on in our school. There will always be passing trends and people celebrating their 15 minutes of fame on the news. The thing that puts a smile on my face is the large amount of human decency and compassion that I get to witness every day in the hallways of Grayslake Central,” said Dean Corey Schwalb.