Driving Tips Help Navigate Blustery Spring Roads

Illinois’ unpredictable weather continues to test student drivers into the spring season.

Ian Cunningham, Sports Editor

As spring approaches, it’s easy to forget that the winter driving season may not be over just yet. Illinois weather is known for its unpredictability, so it’s important to expect the unexpected. To many student drivers, this past winter has been a new experience when it comes to weather and road conditions. Here are a few winter driving tips to round out the season.
The most important consideration for new drivers in particular is to take your time and plan ahead. Snow fall, icy roads, and decreased visibility are all reasons to slow down and plan more time into your trip. Increasing your following distance and driving with extra care are the best way to prevent collisions in slippery conditions.
It’s also important to consider items to keep in your vehicle to be prepared for anything that may come your way on the road. A winter coat or blanket, jumper cables, ice scraper, and extra windshield washer fluid are all great items that can save you in a jam and increase your preparedness.

On Feb. 19, a GCHS driver’s education vehicle sits parked in the snowy GCHS parking lot. (Photo by Ian Cunningham)

Driver’s Ed Coordinator Michael Blasevich said, “make sure that you have an ice scraper in your vehicle. It is also very important that you always make sure that your windshield fluid is full. Look at the label on the windshield fluid and make sure that it doesn’t freeze in the temperature [conditions].”
Some washer fluid is designated as a “de-icers,” that help melt ice and snow that builds up on the windshield and can help save you time scraping your windshield on cold mornings. There are many washer fluids available with different minimum temperatures ratings. Make sure that your washer fluid is topped off and rated for the temperature conditions.
Lastly, student drivers can consider getting some practice driving in the snow in a controlled environment. “Go to the parking lots…not during the day when they’re packed, but I encourage a lot of our students [to] go to CLCs parking lot. Both their front parking lot and their back parking lot are large. There’s not a lot of hazards in the parking lot and it’s a great place for you to drive to learn to control your car…you can increase your speed a little bit, and then step on the brakes and see what happens to feel when the anti-lock brake system kicks in,” said Life Fitness Department Chair Jason Schaal.
Winter driving is a skill that comes with time and experience. Student drivers who are developing their skills are at a higher risk for mistakes and collisions. It is all part of the learning process, but do yourself a favor by taking the appropriate steps to prepare yourself before you leave the house.
“Take your time. Be cautious. It’s better to be safe than sorry,” said Blasevich.