Jobs hiring teens for summer

Find a job for the summer!

Photo illustration by Henry Rowe

Ram Central Station helps students find jobs by posting fliers around school.

Kassandra Ramirez, Staff Reporter

Summer is less than a month away, and many high school students want a job to have extra spending money or to feel more independent. Getting a job can be a long process, but in the end, it’s worth it. 

Getting a job requires taking time to submit applications and waiting to hear back for an interview. You might not always get your first pick, but any job is better than not having one at all. There are many places in Grayslake and other areas close by who hire people starting at 16, and there are many easy ways to find a job. You can even download jobfinder apps such as Indeed, which make it easy to find many different jobs hiring in your area. 

It’s good to have your parents help you out when filling out an application for the first time. If you have had a job before, make sure to include that on your application, as managers like to see that you have experience at another workplace. If you haven’t had a job before, show that you want to have experience at a job at the interview.

Once you get an interview, choose your outfit wisely! Don’t wear something too fancy or casual. If you wear jeans, make sure they don’t have rips on them, and for girls, don’t wear a cropped shirt that shows skin. Be yourself; don’t try to act like someone you’re not and stay calm.

It’s good to know your availability before you go into the interview, so if you get the job they know what days to schedule you and when not too. Most managers want to get to know you so they know what kind of person they are hiring. Talk about things you’re interested in like hobbies, what you do in your free time, and your plans for the future.

Check out these places and links below for some job oppourtunities.

1.  The Vine
  2.  Dunkin’ Donuts
  3.  Mundelein Park District
  4.  Portillo’s
  5.  Jewel Osco