Jewel goes green with “Bring Your Own Bag Month”

Kayla Liberman, Staff Reporter

In response to September being declared as “Bring Your Own Bag Month” in Grayslake, Jewel Osco has organized an event to encourage customers to use reusable bags. GCHS junior Abby Goldberg’s actions led to this event by bringing the idea to Village Hall and discussing the harmful effects plastic bags have on the environment.
Plastic bags are a leading cause of pollution, filling up oceans and taking up space in landfills because they are not biodegradable. Using reusable bags will lessen the amount of daily pollution.
Students in National Honors Society volunteered at Jewel on Sept. 19 to help raise awareness about “Bring Your Own Bag Month.” NHS sponsor Jeff Barry got involved with the reusable bag idea when Goldberg, his former student, approached him asking for help.
“I have never been a huge activist with the whole reusable bag idea but it is definitely something I believe in,” said Barry. “When I was approached with this idea, I thought it was a great way to get my National Honors Society students involved in a good cause.”
Seniors Meghan Fitzgerald and Allie Daul were two of the NHS volunteers.
“We stood outside with posters and gave out lots of coupons to the people that brought reusable bags,” Fitzgerald said. “We also gave out free reusable bags and even sold some as well.”
“I enjoyed doing something that helped benefit the environment while getting NHS hours as well” stated Daul.
“I felt like it was a really unique way to help out the community and the environment,” Fitzgerald said. “I enjoyed doing it very much and I’m glad I was able to help.”