Marching band competes in music tournament

Ksenia Gorinshteyn, Entertainment Editor

The Marching Rams kicked off the competition season at Grayslake North High School on Sept. 13, earning second place in the 4A class.
Since this event was the first competition of the season, the Marching Rams, along with many other bands, didn’t have their full show finished.
“We lost a day of band camp [because of the tornado], so that set us back, and we lost a couple of days outside because of the soft lockdown and rain,” band director Dom Bertino said.
Despite the setbacks, the band still had a successful first competition.
“The Marching Rams had a fantastic showing compared to years past,” said Megan Ames, the assistant band director. “Looking at all scores for all 12 competing bands, our scores were consistently around the top third of all competing bands.”
In preparation for competition seasons, students in band participate in a week-long camp over the summer and continue those rehearsals throughout the first semester of school each year.
“One crucial component of our preparation, though, is the week we dedicate in early August to [learning] a good majority of our competition show before the school year starts,” Ames said. “This helps us review basic marching techniques and lay down an outline for the show.”
After the competition, the critique from the judges was sent to Bertino and the whole band discussed possible improvements and goals for the next competition.
“I got to talk to some of the judges and I have a written Google Document that I went through with the band,” Bertino said. “We listen to the judges’ comments and try to fix things throughout the routine. It’s nice to have the kids hear it.”
Some members of the band, including junior Aubrey St. John, thought the band could have done a bit better.
“As a whole [our performance] was worse,” St. John said. “We had to take out a song because we weren’t prepared. Section wise, people did a lot better. We just didn’t put it together well.”
Regardless of the competition performance at North, Ames believes that the Marching Rams can work together to achieve their goals.
“The ultimate goal of what we do is to work hard and accomplish things together we could never have fathomed at the start of the season,” Ames said. “We are a family and must work together to accomplish great things.”