Boys volleyball to be offered at GCHS

Tristan Bergonio, Staff Reporter

The surveys are in, and the next sport to be incorporated into GCHS’ athletic program is boys volleyball starting in 2015-2016.

This school year, a boys bowling team was formed along with a girls golf team.

This time, though, the inclusion of a girls team is not in the works. Title IX, a law which dictates whether a sport has a team at a federally funded institution, influenced the decision in many ways.

The school must meet any of the four requirements necessary to demonstrate that fairness is being practiced and opportunity is offered on the basis of gender at schools.

As stated in Title IX, “the athletic interests and abilities of male and female students must be equally effectively accommodated.”

According to athletic director Brian Moe, the new team came about because of indicated interest in the sport. In the time before the season starts, there will be open gyms and a summer camp to help generate interest and gauge the potential of students wishing to participate. Also, the team will be participating in the Northern Lake County Conference instead of Fox Valley for the upcoming season.

Moe has hope for the new addition to the school’s athletic program.

“I’m hoping that this adds more student athletes from our student body,” said Moe. Moe also warned against “attrition” between sports in that there may be those wishing to join volleyball from another sport in season.

The new coach, Dan Erlenbaugh, stated that there are some “growing pains” that will come with being a new team and also in the attractiveness of a new sport drawing athletes away from other teams. However, Erlenbaugh holds high aspirations for the new team.

“I hope to see growth from beginning to end,” said Erlenbaugh.

Erlenbaugh’s volleyball coaching experience at GCHS includes being the girls volleyball assistant varsity volleyball head coach.

To notify students of the new opportunity, signs were posted all around the school. Many students quickly,  decided that they wanted to be a part of it.

“After I saw the fliers, I was down,” said junior John Wong. “It’s the first ever boys volleyball team at GCHS. The season will be really fun and really exciting.”

Wong plans on joining the team in the spring for his senior year, and plans on doing the camp this summer.