As seniors graduate, leadership passes on

Anna Jensen, Opinion Editor

Being a leader requires someone to be bigger than themselves. When choosing leaders for clubs, athletics and activities, sponsors usually allow students to vote for their leaders, following a democratic format.

“We give every student in NHS the opportunity to apply for a leadership role,” said NHS sponsor Jeff Barry. “Juniors vote for the leaders at the first meeting. [Lori Mitchell and I] leave it up to the students to pick the leaders because it is part of the NHS mission. We hope the students are engaged and we want them to take ownership and make decisions.”

Often, the students make the right decisions because they know their classmates better than the sponsor might.

“I was very honored that people felt comfortable with me mediating conversations between Mr. Barry, volunteer coordinators and other students,” said NHS president Isaac Longenecker.

Although leadership positions are highly coveted, they are a lot of work for students.

“Holding a leadership position automatically means more involvement,” said Barry. “I’ve modified the leadership roles before, but in these next few years I hope to increase hour participation per semester for the leaders.”

At the end of the seniors’ NHS career, they are allowed to induct a junior who has made the club for the following year.

“The NHS induction is a celebration for seniors and juniors,” said Barry. “But it also acts as a farewell process for the seniors. Not only saying goodbye to NHS, but goodbye to the school also.”

Like NHS, Student Council also allows its leaders to be chosen by the student body.

“Everyone gets to vote for the officers, the four seniors that make up the executive board,” said sponsor Kevin Farrell. “We let the students vote because this is a club that is meant to be representative of the students. It’s what they want and who will be best for them.”

Each class, other than the freshmen, has a leadership position, but the Executive Board makes all the culminating decisions.

The Executive Board for Student Council is made up of four positions: president, vice president, treasurer and secretary. They work closely together and run meetings, make committees and communicate closely with the sponsors, according to Farrell.

“Being a leader in Student Council has helped me make a lot of big decisions,” said senior Morgan Lee, the vice president of Student Council. “Melissa [Obis] and I have to make almost all of the decisions for the projects and events we have at the school. We oversee the different events and [the] committees working on the events.”

Despite the longer hours and increased workload, being a leader in any situation is a valuable experience.