From Countdown to helping all around

Ksenia, Staff Reporter

After the earthquake in Nepal on April 25, the senior class decided to combine what was “Party Day” on the senior countdown with “Philanthropy Day,” due to English teacher Jeff Barry’s suggestion.

The senior countdown is notorious for being a last hurrah for the senior class. Usually, the themes are taken humorously. However, Barry believed that the countdown could hold more meaning to it rather than just being humorous.

“In the past years, the seniors would do something like H for “Homeless Day” and they would come to school dressed up like your stereotypical bum,” said Barry. “I always thought it would be so cool to actually collect money for the homeless or something like that rather than taking it as a joke.”

When first presented with the idea of “Philanthropy Day,” some seniors, such as Jenna Kleinofen, weren’t sure how the idea would come together in a short amount of time.

“The suggestion to collect funding for Nepal seemed like a joke at first,” said Kleinofen. “I really didn’t think we would be able to get a fundraiser together in one day. It was shocking and impressive to see how much people were willing to give for other people. I am really proud to be in the first class to use the countdown as a way to promote assisting those in need.”

The senior class used this opportunity to make a difference in others’ life as well as leave its own legacy.

“It was an opportunity for us to be known for something,” said senior Michael Benko.

If students and staff still want to contribute, there are many different places to donate and send aid to Nepal. Barry, though, only collected the donations for one day.

“We just made it a one-day-and-done deal,” said Barry. “I think when things get dragged out, it becomes less effective. Our attention spans are so short that I was afraid if it became something larger, then it wouldn’t become anything at all.”

This event helped some of the students realize the privileges that we have in places like Grayslake.

“It really opened my eyes to see how lucky we have it here,” said Benko. “At [any moment], anything could happen. We take life for granted.”

Not only was “Philanthropy Day” beneficial to those in Nepal, but it influenced students to create a better, more giving society.

“I think about the world that I want to live in, and the world that I want to live in is one in which people take care of each other in their most vulnerable times,” said Barry. “If that’s the world that I want to live in, then I think it’s important that I try to show students that that’s a world we can create.”