Winter Sports come to a close, Spring sports begin.

April 2015 Sports Update

Rundown Staff, Rundown Staff

Boys Track

The boys track team hopes their success achieved in the indoor track season will transfer into the outdoor season, which began on March 30.

Head Coach Brent Pitt believes that the hard work the boys display at practice and during meets has driven them to progress during their indoor season.

“[The boys] like to work hard,” said Pitt. “They have a true attitude for success.”

Many runners qualified for state at the indoor conference meet on Wednesday Mar. 18. Senior De’Juan Ali qualified for long jump, sophomore Jack Aho for the one mile, sophomore Matt Aho for the two mile, along with the 4 by 800 meter relay team comprised of Jack Aho, junior Danny Vincent, and seniors Max Brunk and Kevin Ocsena.

Senior Seth Graf also placed in the conference meet by clearing 6’3” and ended up taking 8th at indoor state.

“We have a hard conference,” said Pitt. “State champions keep coming out of our conference each year, which is hard to do. All we can do is compete.”

The hope is that the boys will do even better in the outdoor season, and that more people will qualify and make it to state.

“The goal is another outdoor conference title and then a sectional championship,” said Graf. “Our team has a ton of potential and we will do great things.”

So far, the team has already broken one school record, which was set by Jason Gantt in 1997. Jack Aho beat this record by running a 4:31 indoor mile at the Parkside meet, and then beat his own record again, running a 4:27.74 at the Carthage meet.

“About 90 percent of our team achieved personal records already,” said Pitt. “[The boys] will only continue to improve once outdoor season starts because there are less turns and longer straightaways.”

Boys Basketball

The GCHS boys basketball team had a winning record of 15-13 this year.

“We never gave up, we always competed,” said senior Orande Fleming.

“The middle of the season was a struggle,” said Head Coach Kosta Kougias. “They played through adversity, though.”

When the times got tough, the team buckled down and showed extreme determination to get better, according to senior Seth Graf.

“When people started yelling, we knew it was constructive, positive and helpful,” said Graf. “We had vocal leaders in Joey Mudd and Michael Benko.”

According to Kougias, the Rams showed extreme resilience and mental maturity that allowed them to win more than half of their games by the end of the season. One of those games was the 69-45 win against Woodstock North on Senior Night.

“No matter what, we left it on the court,” said Fleming.

Although the team did not advance to State this year, Kougias believes that the team experienced hardships and successes necessary for mental toughness.

“I measure our success in growth,” said Kougias. “And all 15 players grew this year.”

Girls Track

Girls track has finished their indoor season with juniors Alexa Schmitt and Katie Schroeder advancing to the 3A Illinois Top Times Indoor State Championships.

Since Spring Break, the girls have shifted their focus into the outdoor season. They had their first outdoor meet at Grayslake North on April 6. Schmitt took first in the Long Jump with a mark of 16’ 6” and the 300 meter Hurdles with a time of 47.7 seconds. Junior Maddie Jacobs took first in the 100 meter dash with a time of 12.4 seconds, the 800 meter run with a time of 2:29, and the 200 meter dash with a time of 26.9 seconds. Sophomore Megan Girmscheid took first in the 3200 meter run with a time of 12:25. This led the girls to win the meet with 66 points, Woodstock with 62 points, and Grayslake North with 45.

This season there are many girls that have improved since the seasons start, but as far as the coaches are concerned, they want everyone to get better and improve as a team.

“I’m not a person that gets caught up in records, as long as our girls are always progressing and getting better, I’m happy,” said Head Coach Shawn Murphy

“It’s really great because [we] all care about improving our own selves,” said Girmscheid. “Not focus on how good we are compared to others.”

Still the goal is to reach conference as a team and take to sectionals as a team.

Boys LAX

The Lacrosse team is gearing up for an intense season as they aim for a state championship, following the previous season, loosing to Naperville Central in the IHSLA semi-finals.

The boys started their season with a game against Lake Forest on March 18 where they suffered a tough loss.

“We need to work on ball movement in order to do our best,” said senior varsity lacrosse captain Britton de la Chapelle.

Although the season did not start how the boys had hoped, they went into their spring break trip to Kentucky optimistically. While on the trip, the team played two games, going 1-1.

According to de la Chapelle, the trip was a great opportunity for the team to not only bond and grow as a group, but to prepare for the tough season ahead as well.

“We have a great group of guys that work together really well,” said de la Chapelle.

This year, the team tried something new. Less experienced sophomore and junior players were placed on the freshman team to help them grow and learn the ropes of the game. This gave the older players field time they would not get if they were playing on JV.

The boys played a game on April 6 against Mundelein, winning 8-4 with five goals by de la Chapelle, one goal by sophomore John Corridon, one goal by sophomore Cooper Brunk and one goal by senior Zach Sell.

“We have a lot of young talent this year that has filled in really well with the team,” said junior Phil Henry.

According to de la Chappelle, the season has just started, but the team is already hoping for a good playoff run. The team hopes they will be able to bring home a state title for Central.

“Last year we were third in state,” said  de la Chapelle. “This year we are hoping to do even better.”

Boys Tennis

The boys tennis team  kicked off the season with a quad match on March 28 at Warren. Since then, the boys have a record of 3-0.

In the singles section, senior John Knight started out strong with two wins and one loss. Senior Ronald Dignadice  has won three games this season, and, according to coach Chuck Lawson, senior Ricky Tobey scored a very big win against Palatine.

Knight’s loss this season was a  match against Palatine.

In the doubles section, senior Gavin Achtemeier and junior Anish Nekkalapudi won against Dundee Crown. In the same section, sophomores Chase Whetham and Carson Cerquone won against Palatine.

Senior Richard Hutchins as well as  juniors Tejas Paruthooli, Jacob Shwaiko and Ben Sizelove have gone undefeated so far. These victories include wins over Dundee Crown, Huntley and Palatine.

A game was originally scheduled against Grayslake North on March 25 but it was canceled. With the recent shift in weather, Lawson has had the boys tennis team practice outside on the tennis courts on appropriate days.

Their last game is scheduled for May 22, when the team will be taking on Johnsburg in the IHSA Sectionals.

“At Sectionals we’ll be going up against teams like Lake Forest [and] Warren,” said Knight. “I think we have a good opportunity for State this year.”

If the team makes it past the IHSA Sectionals then they will take their shot at the IHSA State tournament starting May 28.

Baseball

The baseball team this year (as of April 13) has a season of 4-7, including games in Illinois and during the spring break Florida trip. Despite physical incidents that left the team impaired, the team hopes to continue the success that it has had for the last few years.

During their Florida trip, the team experienced success and adversity in various forms. While finishing 2-2 by the end of break, several players dealt with injuries differing from minor sickness to severe bone breakage. One of the varsity captains, senior Justin Guryn, sustained a facial fracture on the first game and had to be taken to the hospital.

“It was a bit of a change in our plans,” said varsity assistant coach Josh Peterson.

Since break, the team has now received another win and loss, bringing their season to 3-3. Their last loss, a 3-13 game against Dundee Crown, was hard on the team, said Peterson.

“It was a rude awakening,” said Peterson. “Being at the top means that every game, we see their best pitchers.” Peterson hopes that his players will learn lessons from their losses so that they do not experience those same issues in future games.

However, even in their losses the team hopes to make a difference in the community. During their recent game against Elk Grove, players signed the baseballs of kids from the Grayslake Youth Baseball Association (GYBA).

“We decided to honor GYBA and all they have done for the development of baseball in the community and let their kids take the field with our kids,” said Peterson. “Our players really seemed to enjoy it.”

According to Peterson, varsity head coach Troy Whalen had been planning to do this for some time. With that in mind, one way that Peterson hopes the team will be able to excel this year is by its leadership — and not just by the coaches. For this season, the varsity baseball team has five captains that were elected by teammates to lead them – seniors David Llorens, Guryn, Anthony Fitzgerald, Jay Hoffmann, along with junior Sam Nozicka.

“They weren’t chosen by the coaches,” said Peterson. He is excited to work with players that have all been involved in the baseball program during their high school careers and have gained experience that they can offer to their fellow players.

However, above all else, Peterson stresses the idea that the players need to buy into the game plan for the season. The team built a slogan, “Get in the circle,” to expresses this idea.

“The team is still learning to match our expectations for them,” said Peterson. “Success is addictive. To keep that success, they have to trust us and have to trust each other.”