Softball goes to Florida, bonds as team

Taylor O'Neill, Sports Editor

The girls softball team went to Florida over spring break and finished the season with five wins and only one loss.

“The competition [in Florida] wasn’t as good as we would have liked it to be but we went five and one, leaving Florida with an overall record of five and two,” said senior Katie Strickland.

Currently the team is 7-5.

“Our goal this year is to compete in the Fox Valley Conference and win a division title,” said head softball coach Jason Schaal. “We also want to be repeating Regional Champs and hopefully in the Sectional agian.” This year GCHS is hosting the Sectional.

Some key players that have stepped up are sophomore Reagan Radke, junior Teagan Truskowski and senior Juliana Frusolone said Schaal.

“We have played well at times but there is still a lot of room for improvement,” said Schaal.

In Florida, the team got to spend a day bonding with each other and going to the amusement parks. “I think that one day off really helped us become closer as a team,” said Strickland.

The way the team prepares for a game is very intense. “Usually before a game we want to have a mentality set that we are going in to win the game, no matter who the opponent is,” said Strickland. “Usually for practice we split up into infield and outfield and work on our positions specifically with various sets of drills.”

“I hope that we can begin to really work together as a team and bring a level of intensity that will allow us to play on our field in June for the Sectional Championship,” said Strickland.