Teachers shed light into life as teacher

Olivia Miller, Coppyeditor

Teachers often dedicate many unseen hours every week grading and preparing for lessons. However, many students do not know the daily schedule of a teacher.

English teacher Victoria Lobb explained her normal daily routine and the benefits and drawbacks about being a teacher:

“I feel like I always have to be on my email and in contact with students, so that is part of the work that I do,” said Lobb. “I go through the school day and part of my job is to work in the Write Room, where I will have kids come in there to get help with essays, and sometimes that’s tricky because I don’t know the assignment and I don’t really know the expectations. That is one of the things that really challenges me too–I feel like I am kind of learning through the process as they are.”

Of course, another part of Lobb’s day is the actual instructing of her students, and according to her, that is often the best part.

“I think my best days are when I have good discussions in class, when we can start with the text, then look at language and then apply real-world ideas,” said Lobb. “It feels really good to walk out of a classroom and know that I had a really good discussion about literature, about life or ideas.”

Discovering new ways of thinking or new information is common for teachers and is interesting to Lobb.

“We as English teachers also look for outside texts, like newspaper articles, theory, or criticism, so it takes time to find those articles for kids to read,” said Lobb.

Grading is also a big part of every teacher’s daily life, but is especially strenuous for English teachers due to all the writing they assign.

“For research papers, it will take me about 25 minutes a piece, so that times 83 kids…it takes me an incredible amount of time,” said Lobb. “Therefore I slowly work at those throughout the week. If I take 15 hours a week just grading the research papers, it will take me a few weeks to get through those, but then on top of that, there are smaller essays, there is homework.”

According to Lobb, if she assigns work that the students are intellectually engaged in, the grading is much more enjoyable. One of Lobb’s favorite things about being a teacher is getting to pursue her passion every day.

“I love everything about English: I love the ideas, I love talking about writing, I love writing myself,” said Lobb. “All of the stuff that makes English so unique is what I am good at and what I am inspired by, and I love seeing the students grow. I love challenging them and when you can see them go from this place where they don’t understand anything to this place where they feel really confident about a topic, or a skill, or an idea. That is something that makes me feel really proud of them and then proud of myself for getting them there.”

Science teacher Mike McMahon stated a similar love for seeing his students change throughout the year.

“One of the benefits of teaching is you get to see people grow over a year,” said McMahon. “The more you get involved in teaching, the more you get to see that. What I also don’t love about being a teacher is that you don’t really get to see the students grow after they leave your class.”

Despite the fact that teachers do not always get the opportunity to see their students grow after the year they have those students in class, the teachers still enjoy the time they do have with their students.

“I love everything about being a teacher,” said life fitness teacher Jeanna Beerbower. “The best thing about being a teacher are the students. Students make it fun, exciting and they always make it new and different every semester.”

Teachers often have an influence on their students’ lives and love the opportunity to shape a student’s viewpoint.

“I love the chance to positively impact kids’ lives,” said math teacher Ben Ault. “I think that is why most teachers do this, to give back, and teaching is a great way to do that.”

Although there are many aspects of teaching the GCHS faculty enjoys, there are also some drawbacks to teaching.

“I think the hardest thing about being a teacher is the perception of teaching,” said Ault. “[Many people] think that [teachers] are a bunch of people who do not work hard, that we only work nine months a year, that our job is fairly easy to do and that we are overpaid for what we do.”

Another common misconception people make about teachers is that some lack affection for their students.

“I don’t think all the students know that each teacher makes a personal connection to each of their students,” said McMahon.

If students this year are thinking about being a teacher they should try to volunteer somewhere they could get an opportunity to teach.

“If you are really passionate about teaching and you think that is something you want to go into then do some tutoring, volunteer at the library or work with kids at a summer camp,” said Ault. “You will never really understand it until you are actually teaching but it will give you a taste of what it is like to be a teacher.”

Teachers really cherish the opportunity to bond with their students and encourage their successes throughout the year.

“If you are going to be a teacher or a coach, do not do it for the notoriety,” said Beerbower. “If you are going to teach, do it because you love your subject, but more than that, because you want to change the lives of students.”