Diverse extracurriculars make well-rounded students

Taylor O'Neill, Sports Editor

When incoming freshmen first come to GCHS, they are bombarded with new opportunities that are supposed to make their high school experience amazing. What is not mentioned, however, is that multiple extracurriculars  can make a student’s life very hectic.

Despite this, students have the ability to participate in multiple sports as well as fine arts programs.

While finding time to participate in both is challenging, it is possible to be involved in many extracurriculars.

“As long as [a student] participates 50/50, [they’re] allowed to participate,” said baseball coach Joshua Peterson. “The challenge is staying ahead of schedule.”

Students tend to commit to either a sport or fine arts as they move further along in their high school years, so freshman year is the easiest time for students to explore and find which activities they enjoy most.

“It gets harder to do both as you get older,” said English teacher Maureen Ritter.

Amidst all the extracurriculars, students have to stay on top of their homework to be eligible for all their activities.

“I want students to be exposed to all of what our school has to offer,” said Peterson.

The extracurriculars don’t conflict as long as the student shows the same commitment to each of the activities or sports they participate in.

“We don’t get many varsity football players in theater, but I would welcome them with open arms,” said Ritter.

“One day I want one of [the baseball players] to sing the national anthem at our game,” said Peterson.

In rare cases, some students handle both fine arts and sports extracurriculars.

Before committing himself solely to the fine arts, senior Nick Chamernik did technical theater for ENCORE! while also playing baseball.

“I felt very included in both and I loved both,” said Chamernik.

Instead of playing baseball for the rest of his high school career, Chamernik decided to stick with tech.

“I felt like I could contribute more to theater than baseball,” said Chamernik. “If I missed practice, I couldn’t get better as an athlete.”

Chamernik described theater as a “come-and-go commitment” because the show goes on whether or not he could make it to rehearsals.

Chamernik said that depending on the extracurriculars students participate in, it is possible to do multiple activities. Still, it can be hard for students to divide time between school, sports and clubs.

If students are willing to manage their time and show commitment to all the activities they’re involved in, it is possible to be a well-rounded student at GCHS.